Friday, August 16, 2013

My introduction

What I look like today (Believe me I do smile and don't look as scary via lack of light)
Learn to fly by the Foo Fighters. Best song on my Recovery Playlist that sums up what at least to me recovery from ED has felt like so far

Wow this is the major ice breaker my introduction that introduces me to the readers. I’ll start off with by telling you my name which is Lindsee and I survived my own battle with type 1 acute anorexia.  I know when the first time I read and heard of how my type of anorexia I had made me instantly think how this sounded more like a description of a certain type of  diabetes instead of an eating disorder and have been in recovery for about 3 years now. I guess first obvious fact we all already know and aware of is that this page has one main focus and that’s on the topic and area of recovery. Rather it’s from an eating disorder, any other type and form of mental illness or to addiction and alcoholism, even from forms of trauma like sexual assault, domestic violence or any type of abuse. I’ll give each of them equal amount of attention. Mostly, I’ll be focusing on recovery from my battle with an eating disorder and from being in a verbal, psychological abusive relationship.

What mostly is the reason behind writing this blog is a form in which I could continue my own recovery process and be able to help others through talking about my own experience even give a better understanding about what it’s been like living with this fatal mental illness. What a lot of people also don’t know about me unless you had been told by me is that I also have a mild form spectrum of Autism called Asperger’s. I was formally diagnosed when I was 18 and that has presented itself as a challenge as well growing up.  Oddly enough, the Asperger’s itself has been far kinder to me even a bit helpful when it comes to where I get my colorful creativity from than the eating disorder has. There had been times where I hated the fact that I had this, but now have grown use to it, and can accept and live with it. At times it does seem a bit awkward, but I got to admit those random times something unexpected blurts out of my mouth, will have you guessing what I might say or think next. I’m not boring that’s a pretty good way of summing it up, might be a bit quiet at first, but as I get to know you better, I often do open up and will speak more.  Sometimes you just need to get me warmed up and bear with me. 

I have worked in retail for about 12 years. Been at my current job at TJ Maxx  for 11 years most of the length I have had my eating disorder, before that at Kohl’s and my first job was at McDonald’s, which my eating disorder (ED synonym often used as a reference to the eating disorder identity, voice) had loved. Neither one of these job environments are exactly safe let alone made easy for anyone suffering or going through the illness itself or in certain early stages of recovery to be working in. I’ve somehow worked it into coping methods used within my recovery, it’s also giving me a much better understanding of how future clients going through this ordeal may be thinking or feeling on a day to day basis. Right now, I’m on the end where I myself am a client in recovery as well as a student. I’m currently about to enter my senior year of college for an Associate’s degree in Human Services than transfer that into a BA for Behavior Science and wrap it up with getting a Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. Other than working with eating disorder and related type issue clients, I also want to work with AIDS/HIV, Gay, Lesbian, Bi, and Transgendered clients, Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Trauma, and Human Trafficking victims. Somewhere I’ll also squeeze in getting certification for Drug and alcohol counseling since this also plays some major complicated facets of eating disorders. Also find time to get a miner degree in Gender studies and Domestic violence. Oh and let’s toss in write a book about my illness and recovery along with a few movie scripts and win an Oscar, get to work with various celebrities in charities and do everything that’s on my ED Bucket List.

 I mostly want to use these degrees as a way to find or create a form of a therapeutic approach that could be used to help male clients since there are hardly any types of properly trained therapists who have any idea how they should deal with a male client’s therapy treatment because most of the techniques are feminine based. Oddly enough Psychology was founded by a man Sigmund Freud, but taken over by the feminine type approach. Hell, there’s hardly any designated acknowledged public programs  that focus on male victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Human Trafficking, all mostly are focused on women and girl victims so can you blame me for  being a little ticked off and wanting to be a modern day woman who should be out help ruling the world? I apparently had a purpose as to why I was spared and where I am today and I know that I’m never going to feel bored or experience burn out if I am kept busy with various areas of cliental, I’ll also be kept busy which at times is considered to be a good thing.







No comments:

Post a Comment